How do I install a new language package for SharePoint 2010 and what is the benefits?
Installing language packs make it possible to create sites in multiple languages with in a single SharePoint farm with out creating multiple different sites for each language.
In this blog, I am going to install French language package for SharePoint 2010 .
Step by Step instruction to install and configure language pack for SharePoint 2010.
1. To install language package for SharePoint 2010, we need to go to : Server Language Packs for SharePoint Server 2010 and download the language package which you want to install for SharePoint 2010. In this example, I am downloading French Language Package.
2. Once you finish downloading the language package, perform the following actions
3. Run the setup executable file
4. Review the software license terms, select the I Accept The Terms Of This Agreement check box, and click Continue.
5. SharePoint language pack installation completed and it wants to run SharePoint configuration wizard
6. Run the SharePoint configuration wizard to complete the Language Package installation in SharePoint 2010
7. Once the configuration is completed, navigate Central Administration -> Upgrade and Migration –>
Check product and patch installation status.
Looks like Language Pack for SharePoint is installed
8. Now Open the SharePoint site -> Site Settings -> Site Administration -> Language Settings.
Now I have option to select alternate language to French.
Specify the alternate language(s) that this site will support. Users navigating to this site will be able to change the display language of the site to any one of these languages.
Select to French and click Ok. Now click on Your account settings and you will see a option for French
If you select to French, you site will be converted to French
The other options is you create a new Web Application as French Site
As you can see, installing language packs make it possible to create sites in multiple languages with in a single SharePoint farm
with out creating multiple different sites for each language.