Server 2012: “You must use the Role Management Tool to install or configure Microsoft .NET”
The error I was receive reads:
The following feature couldn’t be installed:
.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
Windows Server roles and features cannot be automatically installed or uninstalled via the Windows Features Control Panel.
To install Windows Server roles and features, start Server Manager, or use the Server Manager cmdlets for Windows PowerShell. For more information, see: Server Manager Help.
Opening Server Manager as instructed (by default, it has an icon pinned to the Taskbar), I clicked on Number 2 “Add roles and Features” from the Server Manager Dashboard.
Click next to all the default settings and go to features and select NET Framework 3.5 Features and check the top level and the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0).
How to Install Windows Server 2012 in virtual machine? Using Windows Azure, you can easily install Windows 2012 server. You can find all the steps for setting up Windows 2012 in Windows Azure
1. Go to http://www.windowsazure.com and setup a Windows Azure 90 day free trial
2. Once you setup your account, click Portal or visit : https://manage.windowsazure.com/
3. To get started Click Create a virtual machine to start creating Windows 2012 virtual Server
4. Click Compute | Virtual Machine | Quick Create |
Select the DNS Name
From the Image dropdown, select Windows 2012 Server
and click on create virtual Machine
5. Windows Azure will start provisioning Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine
6. After a while your Windows 2012 Server virtual machine will be ready. Click Connect, this will open up RDP connection window
7. Enter the password to connect to Windows 2012 Virtual Machine
8. Connected to Windows 2012 Virtual Machine which I created using Windows Azure
There are many ways to create Virtual machine but if you want to learn/test Windows 2012 server this would be the quick way to create Windows 2012 Virtual Machine using Windows Azure