How to install and configure Active Directory Domain Services in Windows 2008 R2?
Install Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) on a member server that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 by using the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (Dcpromo.exe). The member server should be located in the forest root domain. After you install AD DS successfully, the member server will become a domain controller. You can install AD DS on any member server that meets the domain controller hardware requirements.
1. In server manager | Roles | Add Active Directory Domain Services
2. Once the installation complete close the wizard and launch the active directory domain services installation wizard (dcpromo.exe)
3. Run dcpromo.exe
4. Welcome to the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard
5. Operating System Compatibility
6. Choose a Deployment Configuration
If you get administrator password error click the link below for the solution
7. Name the Forest Root Domain
8. Set the forest functional level
9. Set the domain functional level
10. Additional Domain controllers Option
A delegation for this DNS server cannot be created because the authoritative parent zone cannot be found or it dose not run Windows DNS server. If you are integrating with an existing DNS infrastructure, you should manually create a delegation to his DNS server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution from outside the doman. Otherwise, no actions is required.
Do you want to continue? Click yes
11. Location for Database, Log Files, and SYSVOL
Specify the folders that will contain the active directory domain controller database log files, and SYSVOL
12. Directory Services Restore Mode Administrators Password
The directory services restore mode administrator account is different from the domain administrator account.
Assign a password for the administrator account that will be used when this domain controller is started in directory services restore mode.
we recommend that you choose a strong password.
13. Active Directory Installation Summary
14. The wizard is configuring active directory domain services. This process can take from a few minutes to several hours, depending on your environment and the
options that you selected.
15. Completing the active directory domain services installation wizard
Active directory domain services is now installed on this computer for the domain. Click on Finish and restart the server.