Part 1: Creating My Site in SharePoint 2010
1. In SharePoint Central Administration, click Application Management and then click Create site collections. The Create Site Collection page opens.
2. Authentication: Select either Claims or Classic depending on your requirements. Default setting is Classic
Create a new IIS Web Site: It can be any name
Port: 80 would be good but you can select anything you want
3. Specify Security Configuration when setting up MySite for SharePoint 2010. Default security settings:
Authentication Provider: NTLM
Allow Anonymous: NO
Use Secure Socket Layer (SSL): NO
Public URL: Your URL of the site
4. Create a new application pool and in Configurable, you should have your SharePoint account name.
Database Server: Make sure you have the correct server name is there
Database Name: by default you get WSS_Content. In my case I added WSS_Content_MySite
5.Service Application Connections. You can leave it as default or you can edit the services
6. Now click OK to create a Site Collection to setup MySite in SharePoint 2010.
7. You should receive the below confirmation that the Web Application has been successfully created.
Part 2: Configuring My Site in SharePoint 2010
1. Click on our newly created “SharePoint 2010 – My Site” Web Application and click on General Settings.
2. Click on General Setting to configure SharePoint 2010 My Site settings
3. SharePoint 2010 My Site General Settings
Default Time Zone: Select your zone
Default Quota Template: I setup quota to 100MB for SharePoint 2010 My Site
Person Name Actions and Presence Settings : Yes or No
Alerts : On or Off
4. Other settings for SharePoint 2010 My Site: Blog API Settings
5. Web Page Security Validation, Send user Name and password in E-Mail and Master page settings for SharePoint 2010 My Site.
6. Once your okay with all the settings click OK in the bottom.
Part 3: Create My Site in SharePoint 2010 to Host Site Collection
1. Navigate to Central Administration / Application Management / Create site collections.
2. Make sure the site which you created My Site Web Application is selected, enter in a Title and click select the My Site Host Template located under the Enterprise Tab. Enter your user name and password and create the site.
You should then receive confirmation that the top level My Site Host has been successfully created. Just click OK
3. To setup My Site, Navigate to Central Administration / Application Management / Manage service applications.
4. Select User Profile Service Application
5. Select Setup My Sites
6. These are default values you will see
7. Select Site Naming Format, Language Options, Read Permission Level and
My Site Email Notifications and click OK
8. Managing path
Navigate to Central Administration / Application Management / Manage Web Applications.
9. Add a new Wildcard Inclusion path as Personal
10. Enable users to create their own site collections at a specified URL namespace, if you enable Self-Service Site Creations
11. Let’s test My Site by going to My Site URL. This is what we should see