I am in the process of creating SharePoint 2010 farm in HyperV environment for testing purpose. I already installed Windows 2008R2 server and configured HyperV. I am going to create two virtual machine. One is SharePoint Front End and the other one will be SharePoint Back End server which is going to run Windows 2008 R2 and MS SQL Server 2008
Here is the step by step instruction how to create Virtual Machine and Install Windows Server 2008 R2. In my next blog, I am going to document how to install SharePoint 2010
1. Before I start creating virtual machine, I created a folder in my root so that I can better manage vhd files
In this case, I created a folder in C:\HyperV\SharePoint-FrontEnd
2. Create a new Virtual Machine
3. New Virtual Machine Wizard will start, Click Next
4. Specify Name and Location. In this case, I am naming as SP-FrontEnd and I selected store the virtual machine in a different location. Since I created the folder in C:\HyperV\SharePoint-FrontEnd, this would be my location where I am going to store the files.
5. Specify the amount of memory to allocate to this virtual machine.
6. Click on the drop down and select the network adapter
7. Configure Virtual Hard Disk – In this case, I am creating a new virtual hard disk. If you have an existing virtual hard disk, you can select “Use an existing virtual hard disk”
8.Install options for new virtual machine. I am going to install an operating system from a image file. I already have a Windows 2008 server image file sitting in my C drive. I am going to browse and select the file
9. Completing the new virtual machine wizard. This is the summary of your virtual machine configuration
10. Now you can see your new virtual machine and just click on “Start” to start your new virtual machine and double click on your server to see the Windows Installation.
11. You can see your machine start to install Windows