Removing the left-hand navigation in SharePoint 2010

March 31, 2011 — 15 Comments

How to Hide or Remove the Quick Launch in SharePoint 2010

Trying to customize SharePoint master page and having so much of problem hide or remove the left navigation in SharePoint 2010.  I searched in Google for solutions but it didn’t work well for me.

When I tried to hide the left navigation in SharePoint 2010 from the solutions I got, I was getting a blank space in left side.

Empty Space While hiding Left Navigation in SharePoint 2010

Empty Space While Hidding Left Navigation in SharePoint 2010

Empty Space while editing the master page

hide_the_quick_launch_in_sharepoint_2010_empty_space

Many of the solutions also speaks about adding the code Content Editor but that also gave me a blank space in the left hand side.  After long struggle, I made it work by using the code from

How to Hide or Remove the Quick Launch in SharePoint 2010 working Solutions for me:

<style type="text/css">

/*–Hide Quick Launch –*/
#s4-leftpanel{
display:none
}
.s4-ca{
margin-left:0px
}
</style>

Copy above code and past it in your master page on above </head> to

hide Hide or Remove the Quick Launch in SharePoint 2010

hide_the_quick_launch_in_sharepoint_2010_solutions

Hide or Remove the left navigation in SharePoint 2010

Removed the empty space and by hiding the left navigation in SharePoint 2010

No Empty space anymore

15 responses to Removing the left-hand navigation in SharePoint 2010

Nonov Urbidznes July 27, 2011 at 9:01 am

This is about the tenth or so post i’ve found on the subject, but none specifies where the “master file” is; not even a file name! Could you please be more specific?

virtualizesharepoint July 27, 2011 at 12:57 pm

1. Download SharePoint Designer
      2. Open your SharePoint site using SharePoint Designer
      3. You can see the master pages

If you need more info, please let me know.

Nonov Urbidznes July 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Got that, but which file do I edit?

virtualizesharepoint July 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Which master page you want to use?
        In this case, I am using v4.Master. If you want you can copy v4.Master and rename to custom.master and try it.

Nonov Urbidznes July 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

That works, Thanks.

We are migrating our SharePoint customized application to Sp2010, and trying to remove this for few hours! Thanks for your article! Great!!

Thanks for mentions Aryan, and keep on with your blogging!

Hi,
    But what happens when we try to check the web analytics ? The left navigation is hidden in web analytics also, how do i see that ?

No SharePoint Designer Required! I was able to perform the same change more elegantly by placing a hidden HTML Form Webpart on the page which included this code. :) It worked like a charm! I also have SharePoint Designer, but using a hidden webpart allows anyone with site edit access to enable or disable this change easily any time. Thanks!

Ralph Hendricks May 3, 2012 at 8:57 am

Thank you, this worked on my SP2010 site! Very detailed blog!

Your are my hero !!!! This is the only method that works 100%

It works for me but leaves me a blank space where the navigation is…why